Monday, October 14, 2013

Pumpkins and Peacocks Fall Mantel

 

So I took inventory of my home to see how much of the color orange I had before I began creating my Fall Pumpkins and Peacocks Mantel.  I looked high and low and I think I came up with 2 items.  One was the wreath that had been hanging on my front door for the past 5 years.  I knew I needed to take it down and start from scratch since I wanted to make a mantel using the same colors.  Plus, it would give me a reason to make a new wreath for the door. 


 
 
I relied on some things already in my home, which is something I like to do.  I took 1 shelf from a bookshelf that I dismantled a while back and I repurposed it into my sign that displayed all of the Harvest words that I cut with my Silhouette Cameo.  Most of the words are cut with a thick black patterned card stock but a few words are cut with vinyl.  I thought it would be fun to have an airplane flying the words in.


I also had some ombre candles that I made a while back when I was teaching candle making at our local libraries.  I thought it would be great to add the candles to the pumpkins since I burn candles all of the time anyway.  There are lots of ways to make candles but essentially I took the base of the wick and dipped it in melted wax and stuck it to the bottom of my candle mold then added the melted wax that had color and fragrance of my choice added to it.  I just slipped these into the pumpkin but I could have added the melted wax straight into the pumpkin by using the pumpkin as a mold instead of the votive mold. 



Since I had so much of the color orange going on in my home- I had to offset it with the embellished peacock feathers that I picked up at Hobby Lobby.  I have to admit, orange is one of those colors I need to take in small doses but I really wanted to have a Fall-themed mantel.  I am going to try to decorate the mantel for every season, a true first.  I generally keep frames or other decorations on it year-round but I know with Christmas coming up, there will be stockings and other treats lined up on it soon enough!

So this was my first holiday-themed mantel and it was kind of fun!  I almost can't wait to start gathering ideas for Christmas!

How many "themed" or "holiday" mantels have you decorated and which one is your absolute favorite?  Let me know below!

Have a great week everyone.

 Also, if you are interested in joining up with the Silhouette Challenge on the next round, be sure to get in touch with Lauren from The Thinking Closet by filling out the new member request form.
Also, below is a round-up of some of the other talented bloggers participating this month in the challenge!

Birthday Invitations Homer Simpson Style by Black & White Obsession
DIY Planner Dividers by The House on Hillbrook
3D Haunted Forest by Chicken Scratch NY
DIY Cheers Garland by Rain on a Tin Roof
Wedding Gift Wrapping by It Happens in a Blink
Glitter Monogrammed Pumpkin by unOriginal Mom
Halloween Family Rules by Tried & True
Faux Stitched Speech Bubbles by Get Silvered Craft
A Mario Bros. Backsplash by Please Excuse My Craftermath...
Halloween Spooky Eye Luminaries by A Tossed Salad Life
Halloween Party Treat Bags by The Thinking Closet
"Create" Wooden Pallet by Lil' Mrs. Tori
Decorated Pumpkins by Tanya's Creative Space
Cute Wedding Card by Zanaree
Learn to Tie Your Shoes by From Wine to Whine
Halloween Banner by Sowdering About




20 comments:

  1. Your mantel looks fabulous! Love the sign and the peacock feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween season is probably one of the best times to decorate (in my opinion). Love what you did with your mantel.

    Stopping over from the Silhouette Challenge.

    Much Love,
    Trisha D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the peacock feathers with the pumpkins! What a fun pairing! Your artwork looks great! So cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam - GetSilveredCraftOctober 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM

    Your fall mantle looks so cozy and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking fall mantel. I still need to get mine up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Attractive display! I so miss decorating my home in years gone by...when I was raising children and entertaining all of the time... 'Alone' doesn't need it... Ah well... Memories!
    Lynden
    http://aneleganttouch-lynden.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/Lynden.AnElegantTouch

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your mantle, my favorite part is the pumpkin candles. That sign must have taken a ton of work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, I love it! And it was so much fun to hear your thought process and how you pieced everything together. I would have never thought to include peacock feathers in a mantle display, but it totally works - - and you're right, it helps balance out that orange (I'm the same way about the color orange...small doses is best!). Annnnd, I had no idea you were a candle creator! I'd LOVE to take a class from you someday. Also, that canvas is gorgeous! The airplane is my favorite part...so fitting with the hodge podge of words.

    To answer your question, I don't have a mantle, but since we have a buffet now, I've been decorating that surface with seasonal items. It's our faux mantle. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks you so much! I had fun with it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey thanks so much! Its cool to hear what peoples fave seasons and celebrations are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh thanks a bunch! I think i try to incorporate peacock feathers in just about anything I can!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Pam- It is fun to look at it from time to time- excited to keep decorating the mantel with the seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is never too late to do it! I hope it turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey you can decorate for just yourself, plus no one can critique it haha! thanks so much~!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey thanks so much and yes, I skipped the play by play on the sign but between adhesive spray, vinyl and card stock- yes- it took way more time than I planned but I am also chasing twins around all the time! thanks so much! I love the candles too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lauren,
    that is a great idea to take the place of a mantel and you could always create one for yourself! In Florida that may look kinda weird huh? Im sure some of the homes have them? Thanks so much and I had fun doing it...I am excited to keep it up for the rest of the year(s)! Candle making is a fun thing to do especially when it comes to gifts around the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pumpkin candles are a neat idea! I haven't seen that done before!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey thank Sara. I had fun thinking of it and the delicious pumpkin scent during the hoidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your comments. I read, appreciate and reply to them all.