Monday, August 12, 2013

Fancy Powder Room Sign

This is a piece of raw wood I bought ages ago and did not know exactly how I wanted to use it since I had only one.  I like it as is but it did not match the walls in any of the rooms I wanted to use it in since they all have color.





I thought I could put it above my bedroom door then it dawned on me that putting it above the bathroom would help guests in their "time of need."  We have a long hallway and it is where the bathroom and all the bedrooms are and it can be kind of intimidating to walk down if you are new here.


So I painted it up, sanded it a little, left it outside while I worked on 10 other things, then eventually got back to it with an idea to use the Cameo to put a cool font and leaves on it after getting inspired from a fellow Silhouette Challenge participant, Beverly at Give me a paintbrush who decorated her table with the prettiest circular flowers and design.

I am also in the process of painting the walls in the hallway a beautiful dark slate color (which I just finished) and then I am going to use an arrow stencil in metallic silver to give it the final touches. So I knew with the walls being dark, I needed the sign to be white so it would really pop.

So here is the sign completed and I am loving it.  Next is stenciling the hallway or half of it so the sign and everything else really pops as well.

Sign outside (top) and sign above the bathroom door below.




Don't mind the glow in the dark paint on the ceiling.  It's left over from the dry erase calendar project from a while back.


I am really excited about the new wall color (Slate) and my upcoming stencil project down this narrow hallway and will show you the results soon!  In the meantime, here are a few other Silhouette projects I have done since first receiving my machine.  They are basic but I thought worth mentioning!

(left)  Mirror with King of Kings and crown (middle) Marriage crest in the living room over an arch  (right) Under His Wings signage over a mirror in the hallway
Here are some links to past projects using my Silhouette Cameo over the past few months.


Have you made a powder room sign or done any other designs with your Cameo or Portrait?  What did you like or what would you change about the sign?

Hope you liked it and if you want to check out some other great ideas with the Silhouette, here are some other projects from this month's challenge!

Hymn Art by Unoriginal Mom
D.I.Y. Wedding Invitations by Create & Babble
"Keep Calm" Onesie by The Thinking Closet
August Silhouette Challenge Project by Give Me a Paintbrush
How to Organize Cards & Photos by Super Sweet Life
It's Time to Try a New Craft Medium by Tanya's Creative Space
Milk Jug Crayon Bucket by It Happens in a Blink
The Gold and Beautiful by The House on Hillbrook
A Stache Bash Part 1 by Home at Eight
One Shoe Can Change Your Life by An Elegant Touch
Washi Tape Wall Art by Tried & True
Washi Tape & Vinyl Sign by Tossed Salad Life

And if you are interested in joining us for our group posting event next month,  we'd love to have you.  Simply contact Lauren from The Thinking Closet by email.  Blessings and hope you create something awesome!


30 comments:

  1. Totally adorable. I love little details like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It really does mean a lot to the guest to help them feel at ease and I agree- the details matter! thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I love the flourish that you used in this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Love the font you used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really lovely! We are moving to a new house in a few months, and the powder room is near a few other doors (so it will be hard to direct guests to where the bathroom is) and I know I'll need to make some sort of sign to go on the door. I never thought about putting a sign like this ABOVE the door - neat idea! I will have to keep an eye out for a sign like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good, glad you like it- I bet you will find one easy...I was not even looking for it and found it so maybe if you don't think about it, you will find one right away! ha ha! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I just discovered that one and that it was kinda old westy and powder room-ish! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I like that flourish a lot too! it seems simple! thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That came out great! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey thanks- I like it too! simple but adds to the hallway! thanks again Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That looks really great! Such a great idea to help guests.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't change a thing about that sign, Kelly! It's lovely! Feels like something you might find in a Victorian B & B...and surely, it will make your guests feel welcomed and cared for. I just love the idea of calling a Bathroom a "Powder Room." So elegant! You should submit this project to Roadkill Rescue. This is just the sort of project they feature over there...and you deserve the attention for your awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great sign! It looks terrific and blends in perfectly with the moulding around the door.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your sign, what a wonderful and personal touch you gave it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey thanks! I appreciate that! I look at it every day and am really pleased with it! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun! I think it turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you! I am excited to begin stenciling and dress it up even more! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh thank you! kinda funny cause there are two colors of white on the sign and I was not sure if it matched the door enough but if you say so! thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey thanks Lauren, I will try to send it to them- I appreciate the heads up! and that is a neat way to think of the sign-Victorian B & B--I was thinking "old wild west" but I think both are applicable- I like your version better now that I think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks! i HOPE it does...they are always asking where the bathroom is and then timidly walking down the long hall so i hope it helps! thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love a good upcycle- excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank you! I love upcycles too! you can change them so many times after only buying it once! It may end up blue and in the living room in a month, who knows? thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely LOVE it! It looks so good. I have one of those hallways too and I think your idea is just brilliant. No one can ever find our bathroom, too many doors to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh good! thanks- yep is also helps curb people popping into our bedroom or babies rooms accidentally because they are too shy to ask for the restroom! I love looking at it- kinda weird but it makes me smile still!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is gorgeous! The letters are so pretty! You're right....that light color against the wall really makes it pop. I just love working on a project and it turns out looking fabulous. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey thanks! now I need to motivate for the next step! An arrow stencil! and I also love when it turns out as you hope and not a fail! thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Kelly! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog earlier today. I really appreciate your comments on my felt flower tutorial. I love what you did here. I wish I had enough space above my bathroom door to do the same. Thanks again for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh you are more than welcome. I loved all your pictures especially that pillow- I loved the intricate design! I will be stopping by again soon! thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your comments. I read, appreciate and reply to them all.