Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cycling to keep me moving

 Let's Ride~~

full class due to those pesky New Year's resolution people- wink wink

I did not come out with a list of New Year's resolutions because I just don't necessarily believe in putting a lot of pressure on myself on December 31st for the next year of my life.  My husband and I do look back at the previous year and decide what we want to stay the same or what we never want to experience again and that's kinda what we do.

That is why losing weight is not necessarily a resolution for the New Year for me, but it is something that I do need.  So, in steps my local YMCA.

We joined probably 4 months ago after wanting a change in our lives but not knowing what or how to do it.  My husband and I liked the thought of the on-sight childcare and that they had racquetball.  We tried on-sight childcare like 2 times and after the kids got sick- did not go back.  We played racquetball but with no childcare- that busted.  We wanted to swim with the kids but the the weather changed (too cold) and so did our minds.   I wanted Pilates but the times it was offered did not mesh with my schedule.  It seemed like everything was against me finding a way to get healthy again.  Until, I tried the cycling class.  It fit my time frame.  I was scared at first though.  I went in with visions of people passing out on bikes and a blond instructor with short bleached hair and tattoos yelling at everyone to push harder or get left behind with the others who could not handle it.  I was wrong though.

My first class was actually nice.  Although my butt did go numb along with my feet, it took about a month and a half for this to wear off.  The people were also, and still are, very nice and welcoming.  I was encouraged to come back and was told that I did good for my first time.  They said that people, especially guys, leave after only 20 minutes out of the 45, with their heads hung low like it's the walk of shame.  That made me feel better - sorry guys.  They also told me that I would eventually be able to do most of the class without having to stop or slow down- hasn't  happened yet but I am getting there.  In fact, at least 1 time every class, I stop and peddle at my own speed or just sit and contemplate if I am going to pass out, or try to calculate the distance from my bike to the floor.  Thankfully, I am strapped in my pedals!

bikes in class
getting ready for 45 minutes of health!
In fact, when I am at my weakest point, I often close my eyes and just focus on me and how I am feeling and how I am doing.  I just peddle, close my eyes and listen to the music.

debating on when to pass out!   I think the floor is 4 feet down from here!
I have to do this if I want to make it through the long haul.  It is easy to look around and see other people riding fast with little effort and think, "How do they do that?"  The only problem is that I don't know what they have been through and where they are at mentally and physically.  For instance, tonight, a gray haired gentleman said, "Did she say to turn it up to a 9?"  I said "Who knows?"  This meant that I already turned it up to 8 and there was no way I was going higher- I know my limit, especially after being sick recently.  And that is just the thing.  I was on an 8, (feels like you are biking uphill with flip-flops on) and she wanted us to push harder.  The girl next to me who looks like she's got it in the bag may have been on a 3 and I would have had no idea.  I would just see her with a smile, hardly breaking a sweat and think I need to work harder, not knowing she was on an easy level.  You just don't always know what level people are on. 

standing jog-go Oklahoma!
 That is why I am trying to compare myself to myself.  I gained a bunch of weight while having the babies, some weight is still there, some has turned into muscle- even better.  The scale is not where I want it to be but my strength is better than most and my endurance is increasing. I would not trade it.

So, I am planning and hoping to keep moving forward and not dwell on what I could not do or how long it has taken me.  I just close my eyes, stay balanced, focus and ride!

In a totally (un)related matter- we have been listening to the Original Christmas Classics sing along for oh, 2 full months right now and I gotta tell ya- the song "One foot in front of the other" is really ringing loud and clear!  Especially after the 1 billionth time hearing it!  See what you think! 

One foot in front of the other

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

You never will get where you’re going
If you never get up on your feet
Come on, there’s a good tail wind blowing
A fast walking man is hard to beat

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

If you want to change your direction
If your time of life is at hand
Well don’t be the rule be the exception
A good way to start is to stand

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

If I want to change the reflection
I see in the mirror each morn
You mean that it's just my election
To vote for a chance to be reborn

So what do you think?


2 comments:

  1. go for it!! Exercise is so worth the effort.
    my husband and I sometimes meet for a lunch spinning date..makes the class fun for both of us...
    I am your newest follower from the hop..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your comments. I read, appreciate and reply to them all.